*Courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens*
Once the ground has thawed and the trees begin to bud, it's time to prepare your home for spring. On top of your regular spring cleaning, you'll also want to consider these general upkeep tips. Use this spring home maintenance checklist to make sure everything in your home, from the basement to the roof, is in tip-top shape:
- Inspect roofing for missing, loose, or damaged shingles and leaks.
- Change the air-conditioner filter.
- Clean window and door screens.
- Polish wood furniture and dust light fixtures.
- Refinish the deck.
- Power-wash windows and siding.
- Remove leaves and debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Replace the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Have a professional inspect and pump the septic tank.
- Inspect sink, shower, and bath caulking for deterioration.
- Vacuum lint from the dryer vent.
- Inspect the chimney for damage.
- Repair or replace caulking and weather stripping around windows, doors, and mechanicals.
- Remove the insulation from outdoor faucets and check sprinkler heads.
- Have air-conditioning system serviced.
- Drain or flush the water heater.
- Fertilize your lawn.
Come back in June for our Summer Home Maintenance Checklist.